the track and field olympic trials are being held in Eugene, Oregon this summer-- check out these exciting things they're doing to promote sustainability through the event. Tickets for the races are sold out, but I think I should be able to get to the festival part and see the bicycle power tent. And the idea of valet parking for bicycles really makes me smile :-)
May 26, 2008
EUGENE 08 OUTLINES SUSTAINABILITY EFFORTS
The Sustainability Committee of the Eugene 08 Local Organizing Committee is making recommendations about sustainability and promoting sustainable practices in all areas of the promotion and production of the 2008 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Track & Field and the Eugene 08 Festival. The sustainability committee was consulted on myriad decisions from what type of banner materials to order to whether composting could work. Below is a list of the various sustainability efforts:
• GreenPower – all power used will be purchased from EWEB’s green power program.
• Green Lights at Hayward Field
• Recycling & composting – bins at Eugene 08 will help us work toward a zero waste event. We are partnering with Rexius to compost; compostable utensils are required of all vendors.
• Local food – the two caterers for food for volunteers, VIPs, athletes and the media will be purchasing from local vendors, and farm produce will be local as much as possible.
• All efforts are being made to use bio-diesel in vehicles operating on the Festival grounds
• LTD buses and shuttle services as well as bike/skateboard valet will encourage sustainable travel.
• A committee will document all sustainability efforts before, during and after Eugene 08.
• Solar Stage – the stage at the Festival will be solar powered, and the EWEB solar station will be used to provide power as well.
• Safeway Human Powered Energy tent – people on bicycles will be producing energy that is sent back to the power grid.
• On Monday June 30th, Sport & the Environment day, Nike will be collecting shoes to be reused in the Nike Grind product that is used for track surfaces such as the one Nike is donating for installation near the Jefferson Arts and Technology Academy in Eugene.
The Songs of Trees: airwaves
4 weeks ago