Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hey everyone,

I hope that everyone's summer has started off well. I was thinking about where everyone is going to be this summer and was amazed at how scattered we all are...

Anyways, I am doing my best to keep the garden alive and kicking until others return. Watering and weeding has been a nice daily task. In a couple of days I will take some photos just so you can see some progress (hopefully).

I want to share some thoughts I had about the garden to hear what others have to say...
I think the garden is amazing. It is very evident that it has received much unique and genuine care. However, I think that it would be cool if it were a little more aesthetically pleasing. I know that you can not judge a garden by its look. But I think that it would be nice if it were a little more accessible and better put-together. I think all of the wine bottles hanging from the tree with the hammock are awesome. And Kate did a terrific job with the Organic Garden tin lettered sign. Wouldn't it be cool if we had a more well-defined pathway to navigate through the garden? I think that is what I am asking. Should we have a better pathway? Just something that has been tilled up and smoothed down and kept trimmed. Any ideas or opinions?

One more thing... Do we have a scythe?
I could really use one to keep all of the tall grass growing everywhere trimmed back.

-Bentley

1 comment:

Kate said...

Thanks Bentley- I tried. Thanks for watering!!! No, we don't have a scythe but Dr. Haskell said he would lend us one.
The problem with having a pathway through the garden is that it takes a lot of work to maintain and the current grass helps against erosion and mud. The one in front is extremely difficult to keep tame already. I read somewhere though that if you put several layers of newspaper down and then cover that with leaves or a mulch, that is suppose to last a while. If you are bored and want to do that through the garden, go for it, but personally, I kinda like the grass as long as it is kept short.
Any art projects are totally welcome- I'm a big fan of it looking pretty- one thing though, no painting the roof over the mud brick oven or the table out front.
Also, do you have the list of stuff in the garden log that we put together? Where did that garden log end up?

ALSO- please save any wine bottles you happen to stumble upon this summer- they are incredibly useful.

Powered by Blogger.