Thursday, May 29, 2008

Scotland


So I am in Scotland for the summer, spending my days planting, sowing, cooking, and relaxing with the people living here on Culdees- the funny thing is that no one is Scottish- i have learned some Dutch, German, Japanese, and British, representing the range of backgrounds people come from. i am learning something new everyday- yesterday i learned how to kill chickens (which almost made me cry) and today i learned how to pluck and gut them (which almost made me puke). I have a million new ideas about how to reuse things and build, cook, plant- this place is really dedicated to recycling and such.

also- my school email doesn't work so if you want to contact me, you can email me at kateecummings@gmail.com or post me at
Boreland Farm
Fearnan by Aberfeldy
Perthshire PH15 2PG
I would love to get mail and i would definitely write back-
oh yeah and here is the view i wake up to and see every day - (though yes, most of the time it is foggier and rainy- still amazing though)

2 comments:

Paul said...

kate butchering chickens? what has the world come to? the very pillars I base my life around are being shattered! Seriously though, it sounds fantastical... what a wonderful way of life. sweet view, too. do you live in a regular house? with other volunteers? who actually lives permanently on the farm? and awesome address "Fearnan by Aberfeldy" - wow.

Kate said...

yeah, i can't believe i actually helped with the chickens bit- it was pretty disturbing to be honest.
i live in a 'caravan', aka a single wide, but i get to paint it and decorate it anyway i want and i am having a blast with the paint- i share with some other volunteers. only one lady, the head lady who is dutch, lives on the farm permenantly- everyone else is either considered a guest or a volunteer. some people stay a few years or monthes though, so it isn't quite so hectic as it sounds (though yes it is still hectic)
the address- i still can't figure out how they manage to deliver stuff without the houses being numbered. and the fearnan by aberfeldy is because two houses together can be considered a town (no joke) so they stick in a larger town so people can figure out where in the world the town is.

Powered by Blogger.