Saturday, January 24, 2009

WWOOF update

No, I am not in Mexico yet, but am in snowy Massachusetts WWOOFing on a catholic community/retreat farm. I am here for another week and then back to SC before heading out to Mexico! I have learned many cool things both here and in Maine/CT when I was visiting family before this, including:
1. Using newspaper to clean windows works really well and then you can compost/recycle it.
2. That you must grind the herbs after drying and before storing so they don't get moldy (hence why ours didn't work this fall).
3. Dogs have a really hard time walking in snow banks, but it is hilarious to watch.
4. Ice skating isn't as hard as it looks until you come across large bumps in the ice.
5. Helmets are mandatory if going over 5 mph on snow.
6. Slush does NOT make for good snowballs.

As to what I'm doing here, it's been mostly manual labor like hauling firewood, shoveling snow, and cleaning. Not much farming going on with 6 inches of snow on the ground. We are out in the middle of nowhere right beside a huge lake and surrounded by woods, so the snowshoes have come in handy.

I would love to hear from anyone, since I have A LOT of free time on my hands.
Have a great week everyone!
peace, kate

2 comments:

Lonny said...

Hi Kate,

With all that time on your hands, we´d love some descriptions of the technologies you use (at the intentional community and the farm) over at Appropedia. :)

Unknown said...

KATE!!!!!!!

It is GREAT to hear from you. And, I am glad that you got to watch dogs walk in snow banks... that sounds really entertaining.

Do you know what your address is going to be in Mexico?

Powered by Blogger.