Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Edinburgh

So I'm at my third farm of the summer, named Phantassie (pronounced Fantasy) which is a box scheme farm about an hour's bus ride from Edinburgh, a 20 minutes bike ride from the beach (a real beach with real sand and really really cold water!), and lots of woods around- I saw my first redwood tree today too! It was only about a hundred years old but it was huge. Crazy Scotland.
Anyway, this farm has about 150 customers including lots of shops and restaurants, has a farmer's markets in Edinburgh, and is absolutely beautiful! It is an old farm with lots of stone walls, polytunnels, hidden gardens, and a huge field with endless rows of weeds and some veggies. They grow just about everything, and I mean everything. The box scheme also includes organic food they buy in large quantities because the local stores don't always have organic. There are a couple other WWOOFers here, about 6 or 8 full-time workers, two full time WWOOFers, two families, relatives, and basic mayhem of other volunteers coming in and out all the time. I love it. There are also about 500 chickens, maybe more, a huge glasshouse across town that they rent, and a band room that they rent out to all the local high school bands to practice- so I can rock out to bad renditions of various rock bands while I weed in this super traditional British garden.
I will hopefully put up pictures soon, but computer time is scarce.
I head off to Prague to work on a farm there in a few weeks and then back home. To all those in Sewanee right now- can you please start collecting bottles (especially glass), cans, and tires? We will be using them in various building projects and will need a lot!

1 comment:

Laura said...

thanks for the update, kate! can't wait to hear more.

Powered by Blogger.