Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Save Sewanee Chickens

Kirk Zigler forwarded the following email and link. You'll see that the Greenhouse is mentioned on Katherine's blog. This may make it more difficult for us to obtain permission to raise poultry.

Save Sewanee Chickens

Dear Friends, Family, Neighbors and Acquaintances,

I've had such overwhelming interest in my backyard chicken
controversy that it was recommended I create a blog. Please check it
out - if you aren't interested and/or don't want to read it - it
still has some pretty pictures of my yard!

www.savesewaneechickens.blogspot.com

Please share it with anyone who might be interested.

If you have the desire and ESPECIALLY IF YOU LIVE NEAR ME please
write a letter or email to the lease committee stating your feelings.

Letters from a diverse group of people might be helpful: people who
have rented or stayed at my house, faculty, staff, community members,
alumni, donors, regents, trustees, other places with similar
situations, all ages....

If you feel like sharing, I would love a copy. I welcome opposing
views. I am interested in working with the lease committee on
ordinances regarding sustainability in the future.

email:
Barbara Schlichting, University Lease Superintendent, at bschlich@sewanee.edu
or write:
Lease Committee
c/o Barbara Schlichting
735 University Ave
Sewanee, TN 37383

Thank you so much for your input, concern and devotion! It's such a
great example of why I love living here.

Katherine

2 comments:

Steve Johnson said...

I have known about this for the past few days. I have not been able to make up my mind on how I feel about it though. I think it is a shame that someone would complain about chickens, but at the same time chickens can be really loud. I was watching the Wimbledon mens' final tennis match today, for instance, and all I could hear was one of our chickens outside cawing every freaking second.
I wonder on what terms they are accusing her of violating her lease?
Regardless, we should definitely take notes on what is happening in hopes of preventing us from getting into any trouble if we end up getting a hold of some chickens!

Elspeth said...

Maybe we should try for ducks instead.

Powered by Blogger.