Sunday, June 29, 2008

what are the odds?

I have to share this crazy story with you guys. So I'm in Oregon (more on that later, as Eugene is pretty awesome), and I'm at the library which is gigantic. I was looking for the popular fiction section and I couldn't find it, so I typed the titles of some fiction books into the search engine to find their call numbers. I scrolled down the list of nearby books and the first one I clicked on was called The Foreign Student by Susan Choi. I just clicked on it because the title sounded interesting, and when I looked at the summary it turns out that it's a story about a Korean student at Sewanee. Have any of you heard of this book before? I'm checking it out to read and I'll let you know if it's any good-- but isn't it crazy that the first book I looked at was about Sewanee? (By the way-- right now I'm reading Ely: An Autobiography which is also about Sewanee. I recommend it if you haven't read it already)

5 comments:

Laura said...

that's funny, Helen. I've never heard of it.

Elspeth said...

Kate has read it...we used to have in the living room in Emory.

Unknown said...

Hah, that's crazy. Tell me if it's any good. And yes, I have read Ely. It's a great book and even cooler when you are a student at Sewanee. The places are all familiar and it's cool to see what went on in that place many many years before.

Kate said...

hey i've read that! my mom found it in a salvation army in Myrtle Beach, SC- she brought it home and I couldn't believe it either! It is an okay book, not exceptional, but it is based in early Sewanee which is pretty cool to read about.

Jill Carpenter said...

I wrote a review of The Foreign Student that appeared in Sewanee Magazine and was reprinted in the Messenger, in 1998 or 1999, shortly after the book appeared. Susan Choi visited Sewanee at that time. She was working as a fact-checker for The New Yorker. As I recall, her father, the inspiration for the book, was a mathematics professor, in Indiana(?). I think he was the second Asian student to attend the University of the South.

Powered by Blogger.