Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Trash in the trashcan...

GreenHousers,
So right now I´m working in a school in one of the poorer areas of Santiago, Chile and I´ve noticed that many of the students throw their trash on the ground instead of putting in the trashcans...I´m thinking I might try to do some sort of program to encourage them to put the trash in the trashcan. Does anyone have any ideas or experience with something that works on enacting such a change in behavior? Posters? Stickers? Skits? The kids are from pretty messed up backgrounds and I think they simply have never had anyone tell them to put their trash in a trashcan.

Hope everyone is having a fantastical summer!

I would have posted this on the blog, but I can´t seem to add a post for some reason.

paz,
paul

(I am posting this on Paul's behalf. -Bentley)

2 comments:

Steve Johnson said...

Are there any sports there that they love? Soccer, basketball, baseball?
If so make a game out of using the trashcan.
Give them points for each time they "score".
I'm sure if there was a little bit of competition behind it they would all be encouraged to use it.

Unknown said...

I like Bentley's idea a lot.. if you can make a game out of trash then do it.. maybe, kick the can... into the trashcan? who knows. Tell me if anything works.
I'm working with some Burundi refugees this summer and they have the same problem. They've been in the U.S. for maybe a year and it's really tough to get them to throw stuff away.
Are the trashcans readily available? Because maybe there need to be more.. posters are a good idea. AND I bet they'll LOVE stickers. Kids love stickers.. so give those a shot.

Powered by Blogger.